turquoise - a mineral, hydrous phosphate of copper and aluminium

turquoise - a hydrous phosphate mineral of copper and aluminium CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8·4H2O
I learned to look at hands, which I'd never looked at before...and I learned also that shadows are not black but coloured

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bing Crosby & The Crosby Collection

Sweet Bing and Vickie Crosby invited Rob and I into their home yesterday for an afternoon of cookies, Mexican hot chocolate, and turquoise.

Not only did Vickie give us the grand tour of their home (including spectacular views, stained glass windows from the old Albuquerque Bank, and an amazing set of dining chairs made from one of Bing's prized textiles almost resulting in divorce :)), but they welcomed us into:
THE VAULT!!!!!! I GOT TO GO INTO THE VAULT!!!!!!!!~! THE VAULT!!!
- do you sense my excitement?????????

I have dreamed about going into Bing's vault for years (but NOBODY, "not even Vickie, gets to go into the vault" is how the saying goes).
I knew I would be invited someday, I just didn't know when.
Bing kinda loves me: two souls connected in our passion for a blue-green rock.
Vickie laid out over a hundred concho belts for me to inspect and choose from!! They are amazing, each one a piece of art.
Silver conchos inlaid with Broken Arrow, Blue Gem, Royston, Persian, Pilot Mt., and Red Mountian turquoise (to name a few). I believe they have claim on the most extensive concho belt collection in America.

(Bing's belts were at the store, so I did not get to see "his"....hahaha, they each have their own collections - gotta love them.)

Bing's office was my favorite, of course.
When I walked in and saw his fetish rocks covering the selves, I felt NORMAL,
... this kindred spirit of mine and his treasured rocks.
He casually handed me a Leekya Deyuse (the Rembrandt of Zuni art) turquoise bird to identify and admire. I admit, I did tear up a little.
He then handed me a second Deyuse bird made of jet.
He also showed me his Leekya squash blossom "turtle" necklace, and a classic Deyuse leaf ring.

Red Mountain, Pilot Mountain, Fox, Blue Gem

No comments: