turquoise - a mineral, hydrous phosphate of copper and aluminium

turquoise - a hydrous phosphate mineral of copper and aluminium CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8·4H2O
I learned to look at hands, which I'd never looked at before...and I learned also that shadows are not black but coloured

Monday, March 21, 2011

Ring Around the Rosy

I have depth perception problems. I have vertigo. I drop things, run into things, and fall down. I trip over my own feet.

note: this somewhat handicaps me when skiing through trees and hiking steep ridges. I don't so much mind colliding with a tree if it's a smaller shrubbery, but the larger conifers can whack an arm clean off. Luckily, human limbs and tree limbs have flexibility. The ridges, unfortunately, I have to avoid.

And so, I find myself contemplating balance. Not just physical balance, but emotional balance.

The movement of balance.

Balance is not a destination. It is not fixed. It is not unwavering. It's a continual process of steady motion actively working to maintain equilibrium. In chemistry equilibrium is achieved when a chemical reaction and the reverse reaction happen at a steady pace. Two opposing reactions working constantly to maintain optimal function.

Physically, we feel the movement of balance. Consider the yoga pose utthita hasta padangusthasana (extended standing hand-toe pose). In a state of perfect balance, our bodies can feel the constant movement. The work of it, the power and opposition between the body's muscles to achieve the balance of the pose. If we hold completely 'still', we fall. If we give preference to one force over another, we fall.

The same principle holds true for our emotional stability. Emotional balance is a harmony of various influences and powers. This harmony provides spiritual calmness. This means there are opposing forces (pain, anger, unhappiness, joy, peace) at work to achieve emotional harmony. We need these opposing forces to keep us in balance. To keep us calm. Emotional pain, in whatever form, is necessary for calmness (peace, joy). To maintain calmness and joy we need something to push against!

I'm going to try and remember all of this jabber the next time I fall down.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Well said . . . believe me, I'm one who constantly is keeping that emotional scale balanced - ugh.

So, I guess you're not one to ask to hike Angel's Landing with me? Bummer, I need recruits!