turquoise - a mineral, hydrous phosphate of copper and aluminium

turquoise - a hydrous phosphate mineral of copper and aluminium CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8·4H2O
I learned to look at hands, which I'd never looked at before...and I learned also that shadows are not black but coloured

Monday, February 7, 2011

When is sideways forward? & 3 Chinese proverbs

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

A POWERFUL CONCEPT
BUT IT REQUIRES A WILLINGNESS TO LEARN
ARE YOU TEACHABLE?


I have tried to learn many many things, and I can tell you this: this Chinese proverb is wrong. It's not FIVE MINUTES. If learning only required us to be fools for five minutes we would all be fishermen. Learning takes a life time. But, regardless of how long it takes to learn, I would rather be moving forward (or sideways, or backwards) than standing still.

Snowbird.
And there I found myself today, wrestling with heavy internal doubt (once again) on the side of a mountain. Not afraid, not confident, but moving...sideways. For the sake of optimism I will say "I traversed across the slope". In the moment, it felt like a failure. But it was rather, a step sideways. I didn't fall, this time. And so goes the learning process. The next run on which I encountered doubt, I was able to ski with greater confidence. Now I am happily relishing in my reassured ego of having successfully moved sideways...which ended up being a step forward.

I am consequently grateful for patient, encouraging, and non-judgemental fishermen. Teachers who provide fish for me to feast upon until I am able to catch them for myself.


And, maybe in the end, it's okay to doubt.


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Sideways forward = story of my life. Except when sliding backwards of course. Love this post, great thoughts to ponder. Hope you're feeling better, cold-wise, and no more k-stone or migraine pain.