turquoise - a mineral, hydrous phosphate of copper and aluminium

turquoise - a hydrous phosphate mineral of copper and aluminium CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8·4H2O
I learned to look at hands, which I'd never looked at before...and I learned also that shadows are not black but coloured

Thursday, February 3, 2011

It's amazing how a simple head cold can wipe out every ounce of motivation to be active, and yet,...

I took a rest day yesterday. Thought I would really really rest, maybe get on top of this miserable head cold.

Never again.
EVER.
Resting does not make ME feel better. It doesn't. It makes me sick, literally.
(this is why I will never consider myself an athlete. I simply can't give my body the rest required to maximize strength and performance.)

Moving makes me feel better.

By 3pm I had a full classic migraine coming on fast and furious. I was extremely nauseous, barely functioning. By 3am the pain had settled in my right ear (usually the pain goes to the left eye). This is what I get for rest. A wonderful reminder of IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

All day yesterday I'm thinking, "oh, here comes a headache, just go run....NO! I AM RESTING, really rest...rest is important. I want to be strong. My body needs rest time..." blah blah blah. Again, NOT WORTH IT.

I refused to take medication, for the benefit of my kidneys, which was my second mistake next to choosing to rest (I did finally cave and took 3Aleve and 2Extra Strength Tylenol this morning - HAD TO FUNCTION). So now I'll swap out the migraine for the next onslaught of kstones. IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

The head cold doesn't seem bad by perspective. It's annoying, not debilitating.
The only thing that's really horrible to do with a head cold is yoga (note that it's been missing from the routine for a couple of weeks). Down dogs and inversions will basically drown you in your own mucous and therefore yoga with a head cold is a life threatening situation.

The running: due to the cold temperatures and added wind chill, I've been doing my cardio on the spin bike. 15ยบ is my 'cold' cut-off for running. I've found that I can't really do more than 4miles at a time if it's below that temperature. It's a frostbitten nose/icicles for fingers thing. And it doesn't seem worth it to go out and run less than 4miles.

so what is the accounting?
a bit of resistance training in the weight room, a little bit of skiing, a little bit of spinning, and that's about it. I've had it with this "off" time.
It sucks.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hey Katie! Great blog - I'm exhausted just reading it . . . my workout regimen is pretty much nonexistant these days. My yoga teacher has been spending her winter in St. George and I hesitate going to anyone else, and my knee is in bad shape, so there you go - I'm sure I'll my bod will be just lovely come swimsuit season - bleah.

Glad to see you in cyberspace - Michelle had a link on her blog - hope your feeling better soon!